Checking the Balance on a Purchase Order
This article covers how to check the balance on a single year purchase order using the PO Balance report in CSUF Data Warehouse/OBIEE.
Looking at a multi-year purchase order? View Checking the Balance on a Multi-Year Purchase Order.
Remember that the data on the Purchasing reports is a day behind, so the balance is accurate as of yesterday.
1. Log in to the campus portal and access the PO Balance report on the Purchasing dashboard in the CSUF Data Warehouse (OBIEE).
2. First, change the Accounting Period to Between 1 and 12.
Click on Fiscal Year to view a different fiscal year's data.
This will show you all of the activity on your purchase orders for the fiscal year.
3. If you want to look up a specific purchase order, click on the PO ID drop-down menu and then click More/Search.
There are so many purchase orders in the system that it's impractical to try to scroll through the drop-down list to find a specific one.
- Click on the PO ID drop-down menu.
- Select More/Search.
3.1. Enter the Purchase Order ID you want to look up and then click Search. Then double click on the purchase order in the search results.
- Type or paste in the purchase order ID you want to look up. Notice that you can change to a Contains search to search by a partial PO ID.
- Click Search.
- Double click on the purchase order in the search results.
3.2. Click OK.
4. If you want to look up all purchase orders for one or more specific departments, click on the department drop-down menu and place a checkmark to each department you want to view.
If you have access to a lot of departments, you can click More/Search to select one or more departments.
5. Once you have entered your filters, click Apply.
Typically you will either enter a PO ID *or* a Department, but not both.
Want to know more about the filters and table fields? View the PO Balance Report article.
Interpreting PO Balance Table
- The positive amount(s) in the Encumbrance column indicate the amount(s) on the purchase order (e.g., $98,000).
- The negative amount(s) in the Encumbrance column indicate invoices/payments against the purchase order (e.g., two payments of -$4,800)
- The Line Total row in the Encumbrance column indicates the amount still left for the line item on the purchase order (e.g., $88,400). There can be multiple line items, so there may be funds left for one line item and not for another.
- The Purchase Order Total row in the Encumbrance column indicates the amount still left on the entire purchase order (e.g., $88,400).
Purchase Order with Balance (One Line Item, Multiple Payments)
When there is money left on the purchase order, the Purchase Order Total row in the Encumbrance column will be more than zero.
Purchase Order with Balance (Multiple Line Items)
When there are multiple line items on a purchase order, the Line Total rows will indicate the amount left for each line item. The Purchase Order Total row will indicate the amount left on the entire purchase order.
Purchase Order with No Balance
When there is no money left on the purchase order, both the Line Total row(s) and Purchase Order Total row in the Encumbrance column will be zero.
Need More Help?
For technical assistance with the Data Warehouse, please contact the IT Help Desk at [email protected] or 657-278-7777.
For questions about getting access to the Data Warehouse or how to use the reports, please contact IT Training at [email protected] or 657-278-5647.